WeatherExpert™ Packaged Rooftop Units - Unrivaled Leadership in Comfort and Total Low Cost Of Ownership
The Carrier WeatherExpert™ Packaged Rooftop Unit series provides
comfort and energy efficiency never seen before. WeatherExpert
units, available in 3-23 ton sizes, use multi-stage compressors, a
single refrigerant circuit and SAV™ (Staged Air Volume) logic to
provide part-load efficiencies that lead the industry. This simple
design provides two- and three-stage cooling and IEERs (Integrated
Energy Efficiency Ratios) up to 21.0.
LEED & Energy Rebates
With ultra high IEERs and energy-saving features such as Variable
Frequency Drives, the WeatherExpert Packaged Rooftop Units
can help contribute to qualify for LEED®1 (Leadership in Energy
& Environmental Design) credits and may qualify for efficiency
rebates from your local utility company.
Low Cost of Ownership
Designed with cost-efficiency in mind, many WeatherExpert units
use the same curbs and accessories as other Carrier rooftop units,
making upgrades easy. Superior energy efficiency and ease of
installation and maintenance helps provide a low total cost
WeatherExpert...Engineering Excellence Built In
- Rigid full perimeter base rails have built-in rigging provisions.
- Units are available with electro-mechanical controls or RTU Open
multi-protocol direct digital controller, available fall 2013.
Additional ComfortLink integrated controller on 3-5 ton models that
- Scrolling marquee display
- Reverse rotation protection
- Service diagnostics and alarms
- Alarm and run time history
- Additional dehumidification fan speed control
- All models use highly efficient belt drive indoor fan systems
with Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) controller; 3 to 5 ton
units are also available with direct drive multi-speed ECM
- Gas units utilize Integrated Gas Controller (IGC) with LED fault
indication. Electric heat units utilize single point
- Highly efficient enhanced round tube plate fin coils with optional
special environmental coating.
- All gas models utilize induced draft combustion system with tubular
- Large panels with handles and no-strip screw technology provides
access to all major components. Tool-less filter access door.
- Precision sized Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) provides
optimum operation through the entire application range.
- Multi stage cooling capacity (2-stage on 3 to 5 ton, 3-stage on
6 to 23 ton) with a fully activated evaporator coil on a single
refrigerant circuit that provides efficient and accurate
- Highly efficient direct drive ECM outdoor fan motor aids in unit
overall high performance. Helps provide quiet operation with
outdoor sound levels as low as 76 dB.
- Fully safety protected with high pressure, low pressure and over
- Units are available in vertical supply and return air or horizontal
supply and return air configurations to adapt to job applications
- High capacity solid core filter drier for added refrigerant
- Non-corrosive, composite material condensate pan/with bottom
center drain connection is designed in accordance with
ASHRAE 62 standard.
IEER: The New Gold Standard in Efficiency
Because a typical building experiences peak cooling conditions
approximately 3% of the time, leaving 97% in part-load conditions,
the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and other industry regulators
have begun to rely on the Integrated Energy Efficiency Ratio (IEER)
as the new standard for measurement. The IEER standard measures
efficiency in part-load conditions — representing the vast majority of
the operating year.
The recent U.S. DOE Rooftop Packaged Unit Challenge specified only
IEER, not EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio). Few companies undertook
the challenge — but the Carrier WeatherExpert™ 48/50LC exceeded
the target IEER by 15%.
Some WeatherExpert 48/50LC models surpass current efficiency
standards by significant amounts:
- ASHRAE 90.1 levels up to 87%
- ENERGY STAR® levels up to 77%
- Tier II levels up to 47%
- U.S. DOE Rooftop Unit Challenge levels up to 15%
1. LEED is a registered trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council.
2. CEE - Consortium for Energy Efficiency
3. BACnet® is a registered trademark of ASHRAE.