HVAC Education, Indoor Air Quality, Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Common Causes of Carbon Monoxide in Homes
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, furnaces, and more. It is extremely harmful to people and animals who breathe it because it prevents your blood from carrying oxygen to your cells. Increased levels within an enclosed area can lead to poisoning or death, so having a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home can help save your life. If it sounds, you’ll know to evacuate your home immediately and call for help.
What produces carbon monoxide in your home?
- Oil and gas furnaces
- Stoves and gas ranges
- Gas water heaters
- Gas dryers
- Motor vehicles (in a garage)
- Gas line leaks
What can cause carbon monoxide levels to rise?
- Furnace malfunction
- Blocked dryer vent
- Fireplace or charcoal grill that is not properly vented
- Gas line leak
- Car that is left running in a closed or attached garage
Put Carrier Comfort in Your Home