HVAC Education, Indoor Air Quality, Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Your Carbon Monoxide Detector Goes Off: Then What?
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, stoves, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, furnaces, and more. It is extremely harmful to people and animals who breathe it because it prevents your blood from carrying oxygen to your cells. Increased levels within an enclosed area can lead to poisoning or death, so having a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home can help save your life. If it sounds, you’ll know to evacuate your home immediately and call for help.
What Should I Do If My Carbon Monoxide Detector Goes Off?
- Do not ignore the alarm. Assume it is working properly and there are unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
- All people and pets should quickly evacuate the home and find fresh air.
- Call 911 immediately and report that the alarm has gone off.
- Do not assume it is safe to reenter the home when the alarm stops. When you open windows and doors, it helps diminish the amount of carbon monoxide in the air, but the source may still be producing the gas. The levels can build up again once you go back inside and close the windows.
- Have the emergency responders check for the source of carbon monoxide and determine if it is safe for you to return to your home.
What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Exposure?
Some symptoms could include:
- Fatigue or weakness
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurred vision
- Loss of muscle control
- Increased heart rate
- Tightening in the chest
- Confusion and disorientation
Put Carrier Comfort in Your Home