Maximize spring break with these travel tips
Spring is around the corner and it’s time to hit the road for a much-needed break from winter routines. While the word “vacation” elicits visions of fun, adventure or relaxation, getting there and making the most of it takes a little preparation.
Planning your trip
- Pick a destination that has something everyone can look forward to -- adults and children alike.
- Once you have a destination in mind, set a realistic budget that you can afford.
- Make flight and hotel reservations early to help save money on travel costs.
If traveling by car…
- Schedule your vehicle for any needed pre-trip maintenance – oil change, tires/breaks, windshield wipers, etc.
- Keep younger travelers safe with appropriately sized and properly functioning car seats.
- GPS systems and smartphone apps are a great way to get you where you are going, but know your route in advance and bring a printed road atlas as a backup.
If traveling by plane…
- Try traveling on less popular days and scheduling your flights early in the morning or late at night.
- Be sure to know your airline’s requirements for carry-on and checked bags, including dimensions and weights.
- Bundle your flight reservation with hotel, rental car and amusement park packages to help save you money using online travel sites, or through club memberships.
Before you go…
- Install smart outlets or timers that can turn lights on and off to give the appearance that your home is occupied.
- Arrange for a trusted relative, friend or neighbor to stop by and check for deliveries, water leaks or other signs of activity.
- Set up some basic home monitoring devices that include indoor and outdoor security cameras.
- Adjust your thermostat for energy savings – better yet, consider upgrading to a smart thermostat like the Carrier® Infinity® System Control.