115 Years and Cooler Than Ever
August 24, 2017
PRAGUE, Czech Republic
What do summer blockbuster movies, boxed chocolates and skyscrapers have in common? It wasn't until modern air conditioning came to movie theaters, candy confectioners and high-rise office buildings that these industries flourished with the addition of cool, temperature-controlled air. Now, 115 years later, Carrier marks the anniversary of modern air conditioning by highlighting recent innovative advancements and milestones that make our technology relevant today and quite simply, cooler than ever. Carrier Transicold is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
Carrier products are found across the globe and can create comfortable and productive environments, regardless of the climate. In fact, some of Carrier’s “coolest” solutions safeguard the quality and freshness of food through technology based on modern air conditioning, Carrier Commercial Refrigeration is committed to improving refrigeration and merchandising through sustainable products, processes and technical innovation.
"Carrier continues to develop new products and push the boundaries of smart technology. Beyond keeping food cool and fresh, Carrier products are among the most energy-efficient products available today," said Victor Calvo, president, Carrier Commercial Refrigeration Europe. "Through persistence, world-class engineering and a relentless commitment to innovation, Carrier is cooler than ever – and excited to deliver leading solutions to keep people around the world comfortable well into the future."
Here are 10 reasons to celebrate Carrier and our game-changing air conditioning technology.
- Sustainable products. Globally, since 2000, Carrier products have avoided more than 225 million metric tons of carbon dioxide through advancements in energy efficiency, the equivalent of removing more than 47 million passenger vehicles from the road for one year. How cool is that?
- CO2 refrigeration solutions for distribution centers in Europe. The environmentally sustainable CO2OLtec® refrigeration system helps SPAR’s new distribution center in Ebergassing, Austria to improve energy efficiency and reduce its carbon footprint by using the natural refrigerant CO2. This is the first transcritical CO2 installation for distribution centers in Austria.
- Our founder, Willis Carrier. The spirit of Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning, is kept alive and well on williscarrier.com and on Twitter . Follow along with Willis as he shares the history and memorabilia surrounding the evolution of modern air conditioning.
- Innovative service counter design. Carrier meets the needs of food retailers for greater transparency and improved shopping experience with the cool Danaos® Total Transparency counter. It keeps food cool and creates an eye-catching effect to attract shoppers' attention.
- The UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings. Carrier, and its industry-leading products, will be featured in the UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings, a first of its kind global customer experience center set to open later this year in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
- The First Ecolabel supermarket in Germany is refrigerated by Carrier. Carrier Commercial Refrigeration Europe’s CO2OLtec integral refrigeration system and energy efficient remote cabinets have helped tegut… supermarket in Marburg-Cappel, Germany became the first supermarket to receive a Blue Angel ecolabel for environmental responsibility.
- Fostering a global dialogue. We believe that global dialogue can rebalance the built environment with the natural environment. We also believe that green building, which includes our high-efficiency air conditioning products, will accelerate with education. That’s why Carrier convenes the Distinguished Sustainability Lecture Series, in hopes that the discussions of today will help drive technological advancements and shape the decisions made for years to come. To date, the lecture series has reached over 3,850 professionals through 31 lectures in 19 cities across 15 countries. Events will be held later this year in Indonesia and India.
- Carrier offers award-winning energy efficient vertical refrigerated display cabinets. Carrier’s Optimer® low front glass door refrigerated plug-in multi-deck cabinet won the ProCold award as the most efficient cabinet in the vertical refrigerated display category presented at EuroShop 2017. Now that’s cool!
- Carrier keeps food fresh and cool. Modern air conditioning paved the way for Carrier's refrigeration technology for the transport and shipping of temperature controlled cargoes. Carrier understands that "fresh" is not simply about how recently produce was harvested or products were created. It is also about the conditions in which they have been transported. That is why Carrier provides transport refrigeration solutions that allow for precise control of temperature and humidity, preserving all types of perishable cargo no matter where it needs to go.
- Carrier is constantly innovating. In fact, the air conditioning technology of the future is being developed right now. In 2016, United Technologies spent $3.7B on company and customer-funded research and development, supporting a variety of innovative new aerospace and building systems products including Carrier heating, cooling and refrigeration systems. That’s a lot of “cool”, hard cash.
Learn more about Carrier's legacy of innovation, as well as the complete history of modern air conditioning, in Weathermakers to the World and on WillisCarrier.com. Follow @WillisCarrier on Twitter for more historic facts. Follow along on social media using the hashtag #carriercool.
For additional information on Carrier Commercial Refrigeration’s product portfolio and sustainable solutions, visit http://www.carrier.com/commercial-refrigeration/en/eu/. Follow Carrier Transicold on Twitter: @SmartColdChain.
Founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, Carrier is a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier experts provide sustainable solutions, integrating energy-efficient products, building controls and energy services for residential, commercial, retail, transport and food service customers. Carrier is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide. For more information, visit www.carrier.com. Follow Carrier on Twitter: @Carrier..