Hilton Metropole - Hotel
The original plan was to use a heavy duty crane to remove two existing R22 refrigerant-based chillers from the rooftop of the Hilton Metropole Hotel, and replace them with two new high efficiency Carrier AquaSnap units, with a combined cooling capacity of just over 1MW. The initial plan would have required the closure of Edgware Road, a main route into the heart of London. Carrier contracted Helirig and their Swiss helicopter partners to lift the old plant from the hotel's rooftop and position the new chillers in place. Les Cordery, Facilities Manager of the Hilton Metropole Hotel, said: "I am delighted at the speed and professionalism with which Carrier carried out the installation, and with no disruption to traffic or disturbance to our surrounding residents. We had been prepared for the project to take many months (...). However, Carrier's innovative thinking and project management expertise provided an ideal solution and an unexpectedly timely result for the hotel."
- Fast and safe removal of existing chillers from building roof and delivery of new chillers
- HVAC plant downtime minimised, ensuring service was maintained to hotel guests and revenue protected
- No requirement to apply for road closures and project site permits for heavy-duty cranes
- No disruption to traffic or the neighbourhood linked to delivery and installation
- 2 x Carrier 30RB 522 AquaSnap® Air-Cooled liquid Chillers
The project presented a number of specific challenges and the resulting solution succeeded in:
- Seamless installation - no disruption of service to the hotel;
- Innovative, safe and fast delivery via air - no delays due to road closure permit request process;
- Optimal security - no safety concerns about the load bearing capability of surrounding roads.