115 Years and Cooler Than Ever
July 28, 2017
What do summer blockbuster movies, boxed chocolates and skyscrapers have in common? It wasn't until modern air conditioning came to movie theaters, candy confectioners and high-rise office buildings that these industries flourished with the addition of cool, temperature-controlled air. Now, 115 years later, Carrier marks the anniversary of modern air conditioning by highlighting recent innovative advancements and milestones that make our technology relevant today and quite simply, cooler than ever. Carrier Transicold is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
"Carrier continues to develop new products and push the boundaries of smart technology. Beyond keeping people cool and comfortable, Carrier products are among the most energy-efficient products available today," said George Li, vice president, UTC Climate, Controls & Security, China. "Through persistence, world-class engineering and a relentless commitment to innovation, Carrier is cooler than ever – and excited to deliver leading solutions to keep people around the world comfortable well into the future."
Here are 10 reasons to celebrate Carrier and our game-changing air conditioning technology.
- Our founder, Willis Carrier. The spirit of Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning, is kept alive and well on williscarrier.com and on Twitter . Follow along with Willis as he shares the history and memorabilia surrounding the evolution of modern air conditioning.
- Carrier keeps food fresh and cool. Modern air conditioning paved the way for Carrier's refrigeration technology for the transport and shipping of temperature controlled cargoes. Carrier understands that "fresh" is not simply about how recently produce was harvested or products were created. It is also about the conditions in which they have been transported. That is why Carrier provides transport refrigeration solutions that allow for precise control of temperature and humidity, preserving all types of perishable cargo no matter where it needs to go.
- Safe transport of critical pharmaceuticals. Gandon Transports, a leading French refrigerated transporter, selected Carrier Transicold’s Vector and Pulsor units with E-Drive all-electric technology to transport temperature-critical pharmaceutical products throughout Europe.
- Sustainable products. Globally, since 2000, Carrier products have avoided more than 225 million metric tons of carbon dioxide through advancements in energy efficiency, the equivalent of removing more than 47 million passenger vehicles from the road for one year. How cool is that?
- Natural refrigerant for trailers. Carrier Transicold’s natural refrigerant trailer prototype unit began a three-year technology field trial with Netto Marken-Discount. The test marks the beginning of a new era for Carrier Transicold with the development of over-the-road refrigeration using CO2.
- Engineless refrigeration technology. Supermarket chain Tesco is conducting a trial of two Carrier Transicold multi-temperature refrigeration units – engineless systems that run entirely on hydro-electric power generated by the trucks’ ultra-clean Euro VI engines.
- Fostering a global dialogue . We believe that global dialogue can rebalance the built environment with the natural environment. We also believe that green building, which includes our high-efficiency air conditioning products, will accelerate with education. That's why Carrier convenes the Distinguished Sustainability Lecture Series, in hopes that the discussions of today will help drive technological advancements and shape the decisions made for years to come. To date, the lecture series has reached over 3,850 professionals through 31 lectures in 19 cities across 15 countries. Events will be held later this year in Indonesia and India.
- Refrigeration technology to reduce emissions. Société des Transports Gautier (STG), a specialist in temperature-controlled transport across Europe, selected Carrier Transicold to equip its first natural gas-engine truck with a multi-temperature engineless refrigeration unit. Combining an engineless cooling system with a natural gas-engine truck allows STG to significantly lower emission levels and reduce its overall impact on the environment.
- The UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings. Carrier, and its industry-leading products, will be featured in the UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings, a first of its kind global customer experience center set to open later this year in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
- Carrier is constantly innovating. In fact, the air conditioning technology of the future is being developed right now. In 2016, United Technologies spent $3.7B on company and customer-funded research and development, supporting a variety of innovative new aerospace and building systems products including Carrier heating, cooling and refrigeration systems. That's a lot of "cool", hard cash.
Learn more about Carrier's legacy of innovation, as well as the complete history of modern air conditioning, in Weathermakers to the World and on WillisCarrier.com. Follow @WillisCarrier on Twitter for more historic facts. Follow along on social media using the hashtag #carriercool.
For more information on Carrier Transicold and its products and services, visit www.carriertransicold.eu. Follow Carrier Transicold on Twitter: @SmartColdChain.
About Carrier Transicold
Carrier Transicold helps improve transport and shipping of temperature controlled cargoes with a complete line of equipment and services for refrigerated transport and cold chain visibility. For more than 45 years, Carrier Transicold has been an industry leader, providing customers around the world with advanced, energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable container refrigeration systems and generator sets, direct-drive and diesel truck units, and trailer refrigeration systems. Carrier Transicold is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide. For more information, visit www.carriertransicold.eu. Follow Carrier on Twitter: @SmartColdChain..
Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning.
Three 75-tonne units at the Stephen F. Whitman & Son's Philadelphia candy plant in 1923 were the first installation of Carrier's historic centrifugal chiller.