New International Convention Centre Wales to be Cooled with Carrier AquaForce® Vision Chillers
NEWPORT, United Kingdom -
Carrier's award-winning high efficiency AquaForce Vision chiller has been chosen to provide high-quality air conditioning for the new International Convention Centre Wales (ICC Wales). Carrier, a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions, is a part of Carrier, a leading global provider of innovative HVAC, refrigeration, fire, security and building automation technologies.
Located at the prestigious Celtic Manor Resort, host of the Ryder Cup and recent NATO Summit, the ICC Wales project is an £83.7m joint venture between the resort’s owners and the Welsh Government. The new convention centre, which opens in 2019, will accommodate 5,000 delegates and includes a 4,000 square meter pillar-free main hall, a 1,500 seated auditorium, 12 flexible meeting rooms, a double-height glass atrium and a 2,500 square meter plaza for outdoor events.
Two Carrier AquaForce® Vision chillers equipped with Greenspeed® Intelligence inverter-driven screw compressors were selected to cool the new facility, each delivering 791kW of cooling. The innovative technology recently won the Air Conditioning Product of the Year 2018 in the UK's Cooling Industry Awards, due to its energy efficiency and excellent environmental credentials.
The chillers are being deployed in a duty share configuration, with each chiller sized for 58 percent of the diversified load to provide outstanding resilience and continuity of cooling at all times.
Due to the coastal location, the units have been specified with Super Enviroshield® condenser coating that is factory-applied and provides an extra high level of corrosion protection for the high-efficiency all-aluminum heat exchangers. This extremely durable and flexible epoxy coating is uniformly applied over all coil surfaces, completely isolating the metal from the surrounding environment. In addition, the chillers are equipped with integrated refrigerant leak protection systems at the request of the client.
Peter Davies, director of contractor and installer CMB Engineering, said: "Carrier has a reputation for reliable, well-engineered systems, and the company's senior sales engineer Russ Tyrell provided helpful support throughout the project. The efficiency performance of the new 30KAV chiller range is excellent due to the use of inverters that precisely match cooling output to current load. This is highly attractive for end users, as it delivers high quality comfort conditions for occupants, while minimising running costs and enhancing environmental credentials, all important considerations in the ICC Wales project."
The AquaForce® Vision chiller offers:
- Energy savings of 25-35 percent per year compared with conventional chillers, with smart energy monitoring enabling users to track real-time electrical consumption, cooling output and instantaneous efficiency ratios;
- New inverter-driven Carrier 06Z twin-rotor screw compressors for exceptional efficiency and reliability, and positive displacement compression with wide operating range and no possibility of surge, ensuring resilience and continuity of cooling;
- Use of Touch Pilot controls, a new generation of integrated controls, including wireless connectivity for ease of use and control;
- Step-less variable speed air-cooled inverter for increased reliability and efficiency, and low noise as a result of an integrated resonator;
- Inverter-driven motors ensure negligible start-up current and improved power factor, a major benefit in applications with restricted electrical supply;
- Third generation Novation micro-channel heat exchanger condenser coils in a new ‘W’ configuration, ensuring maximum condensing in a compact space;
- Integrated leak indication control algorithms for environmental protection and user assurance;
- Sixth generation Carrier Flying Bird fan with variable speed AC or EC fan motors for enhanced energy efficiency and low noise;
- Optional variable speed chilled water pumps with constant pressure differential or constant temperature differential control for enhanced efficiency.
Founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, Carrier is a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier experts provide sustainable solutions, integrating energy-efficient products, building controls and energy services for residential, commercial, retail, transport and food service customers. Carrier’s HVAC business is a part of Carrier, a leading global provider of innovative HVAC, refrigeration, fire, security and building automation technologies. For more information, visit www.carrier.com or follow @Carrier on Twitter.
Located at the prestigious Celtic Manor Resort, the ICC Wales project is an £83.7m joint venture between the resort’s owners and the Welsh Government