How Long Do Mini Splits Last?
Ductless mini split systems are a great way to heat and cool your room addition, converted basement, or even your entire home. And when compared to central AC or heating they offer several benefits, including easy installation, high energy efficiency and quiet operation. Mini split AC and heat pump systems offer another benefit we’ll discuss for the remainder of this article – long life expectancy. So, how long do mini splits last? While there is no simple answer, there are a number of ways to improve the life expectancy of mini split heat pump and AC units. Of course, while DIY solutions can help, we recommend letting your local Carrier professional do the heavy lifting for more extensive mini split maintenance or service.
How Long Do Ductless Air Conditioners Last? Factors to Consider
Similar to forced air heat pumps and air conditioning systems, there are three main factors that can determine the life expectancy of a ductless mini split AC system – choose high-quality equipment, keep it properly maintained, and use it efficiently. Follow these simple rules and the answer to how long do ductless air conditioners last might be longer than you might expect.
Choose A High-Quality System
The first step is to choose a high-quality system from a reputable manufacturer like Carrier. Carrier products are backed by the company most responsible for inventing modern air conditioners and one that continues to develop leading indoor comfort technology.
Carrier mini split systems provide long-term comfort in part due to inverter-controlled variable speed operation. This type of system is designed to adjust cooling and heating output to match changing conditions. Variable-speed operation puts less wear and tear on fans, compressors and other system components.
Don’t Skip Regular Maintenance
Regular maintenance of your mini split ductless system is one of the best things you can do to maximize its performance, efficiency and longevity. That applies to both the indoor unit and outdoor unit of your mini split system.
- For the indoor unit, mini split maintenance includes keeping the exterior cabinet clean and dust-free
- Clean the indoor unit’s air filter monthly, and keep the interior of the unit clean and free from dirt and dust.
- The outdoor unit should also be inspected periodically to be sure no leaves or other debris are accumulating around the unit.
- The outdoor coil can be cleaned by turning the system off and gently rinsing it with a garden hose – do NOT use a power washer or high-pressure nozzle.
For the best outcome, we recommend mini split maintenance, including an annual tune-up and inspection, by a trusted HVAC technician.
Outside of maintenance, the other way you can add life to your mini split system is by using it efficiently. By nature, most mini split systems are very energy efficient thanks to their variable speed operation. You can add life to your unit by:
- Turning it off when the room is not occupied, or at least setting the temperature for less heating or cooling operation.
- Leaving the fan setting on “Auto” and letting the system decide the most efficient speed setting.
- Minimizing heat sources during cooling can help – closing blinds or shades to block the sun as an example.
So, How Long Do Mini Split Systems Last?
The question “how long do mini split systems last” does not have a definitive answer. However, we do have enough experience to confidently state you can expect 10 – 15 years of efficient, reliable use when you purchase a quality system from a reputable manufacturer. 20 years or longer are also realistic and not entirely unheard of, especially when following our recommendations for efficient usage, regular filter cleaning, and annual service by your local Carrier expert.
Increase Life Expectancy with Our Professional Service
If anybody can answer the question how long do mini split systems last, it’s your local HVAC company representative. A qualified Carrier service technician can analyze your HVAC system and make recommendations on how to get the most from your system, including steps you can take to increase its life expectancy.
To find a Carrier expert and make an appointment today, check out our dealer locator on the Carrier residential products website.
- Learn how to install a mini split system
- Read about mini split repairs
- Difference between a mini split vs central air