Carrier Announces Annual Distributor Scholarships
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -
Carrier distributors nationwide have identified the recipients of their annual college scholarship, and awarded grants this year totaling nearly $40,000. Carrier, a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions, is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
Each year, the Carrier & Bryant Distributors' Education Foundation awards 25 scholarships to outstanding students who are the children of Carrier and Bryant dealers. Bryant is also part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security.
"In addition to their roles as heating and cooling experts, Carrier and Bryant distributors and dealers invest in their communities and provide these scholarships to students of the next generation to help them succeed," said David Meyers, vice president, sales, Carrier. "We're proud of our distributors as they support the aspirations of these talented students.”
The Carrier & Bryant Distributors' Education Foundation has awarded approximately $500,000 to 355 outstanding students since 1998, when it began as the Blees Scholarship, in honor of the late William A. Blees, who served as a longtime adviser to Carrier and Bryant distributors. Following his passing, Carrier and Bryant heating and cooling equipment distributors established the foundation in Blees' honor to award college scholarships to the children of HVAC dealers' and contractors' employees.
The students are awarded the scholarship based on academic achievement, extracurricular activities, leadership potential and personal motivation. Applications are screened by a professional scholarship administration firm, which also reviews the candidates’ short essay about their educational and career aspirations. The 2016 recipients include five students who are two-time winners.
The 2016 scholarship recipients are:
- Precious Adams; Crookston, Minnesota
- Mika Awai; Napa, California
- Daniel Bean; Walpole, Massachusetts
- Isaac Carter; Wasca, Minnesota
- Mitchell Clune; Coldwater, Ohio
- Chelsea Hammond; Rehoboth, Massachusetts
- James Harmon; Holt, Missouri
- Olivia Herron; Greenville, Ohio
- Brooke Herschleb; Sauk City, Wisconsin
- Samantha Horn; Adams, Massachusetts
- Kate Kennelly; Melrose, New York
- Trenton Koeper; Upland, California
- Morgan Lancaster; Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Austin McHenry; Phoenix, Arizona
- Avery McNeill; Florala, Alabama
- Braden Meadows; Kingston, Georgia
- Colleen Mock; Quincy, Illinois
- Jantzen Nakai; Honolulu, Hawaii
- Amber O’Brien; Woodford, Vermont
- Stephanie Pope; Owens Crossroads, Alabama
- Lauren Reed; Emma, Missouri
- Isaiah Roepe, Emma, Missouri
- Zachary Thornton; Woodstock, Illinois
- Devon Watts; Winter Haven, Florida
- Kaci Whitehead; Syracuse, Indiana
Founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, Carrier is a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier experts provide sustainable solutions, integrating energy-efficient products, building controls and energy services for residential, commercial, retail, transport and food service customers. Carrier is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide. For more information, visit www.carrier.com or follow @CarrierGreen on Twitter.