New XR Series Engineless Truck Refrigeration Units Deliver Improved Performance and Sustainability
Carrier Transicold’s new, engineless 40XR and 50XR truck refrigeration units elevate the efficiency, reliability and sustainability of its direct-drive systems used on mid-sized and large trucks for local and regional deliveries by grocery, food service, produce and pharmaceutical businesses.
Along with contemporary aesthetics, the new XR series units provide improved air management and increased air flow resulting in faster pulldown and more uniform temperature control when compared to the X series models they succeed.
“The R in XR represents refinements we’ve made inside and outside to deliver greater performance and reliability,” said Scott Parker, Product Manager, Truck Products, Carrier Transicold.
Among the refinements made:
- Unit condensers have been upgraded to the proven microchannel coil design for higher-efficiency heat transfer, as well as weight savings and added durability.
- Condenser fans have been enhanced with maintenance-free brushless motors for better reliability.
- Sustainability has been improved by using the next-generation refrigerant R 452A, which has about half the global warming potential of R-404A, the refrigerant used with the prior models. Required refrigerant is even reduced by more than 20% due to efficiency gains.
- Weight has been reduced by 4 to 11% depending depending on model and whether it is equipped for standby operation, again thanks to efficiency improvements.
- Standby capacities have been improved compared to the models they succeed.
The 40XR is designed for boxes 12 to 18 feet long, and the model 50XR supports trucks with a cargo area up to 20 feet in length.
Carrier Transicold direct-drive truck units are split systems, in which the condenser is nose-mounted to the truck box over the cab and the evaporator is attached to the ceiling of the cargo area. As direct-drive units, their belt-driven refrigerant compressors are powered by the truck engine, eliminating the weight and costs associated with having a separate engine for the refrigeration unit.
For more information about the 40XR and 50XR direct-drive truck refrigeration units, turn to the experts in Carrier Transicold’s North America dealer network.