As the song goes, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year.” And yes, the year-end holiday season offers many opportunities to celebrate, gather with family and friends and get out of your usual routines. Carrier wishes you all the best for a happy holiday season, and offers the following tips to promote a SAFE season as well.
If you’re decorating...
- Be careful on ladders – use every rung and maintain three points of contact (two feet and one hand, for example).
- When inside, use a step-stool instead of standing on furniture to hang decorations.
- Don't overload electrical outlets – inside OR outside. Follow manufacturers’ recommendations for maximum number of lights / decorations per outlet.
- Monitor fireplaces and candles – don't leave open flames unattended.
If you’re traveling...
- Turn off your water supply at the main shutoff valve. Drain water lines by opening faucets after the water is off to avoid leaks or potential pipe freezing during cold weather.
- Put deliveries on hold until you return.
- Put interior lights on timers or install smart bulbs/plugs that can be turned on/off remotely.
- If driving, use safety belts and car seats.
If you’re hosting...
- Wash hands frequently.
- Be sure to handle meats properly and cook thoroughly to recommended temperatures.
- Refrigerate leftovers promptly – don't leave perishable foods out for more than two hours.
- Keep an eye on children as they play or eat.
If you’re doing all of the above...
- Manage stress levels with balanced activity schedules and keep expectations realistic.
- Maintain sleep schedules to avoid becoming over tired.
- Avoid over-indulging on sweets, goodies and alcohol – everything in moderation!
- Don’t overspend – stick to a holiday budget.
Of course, one sure way to ruin the holidays is an unexpected breakdown with your heating system. To help avoid the unexpected, inspect your air filter and replace if needed, and if you haven’t had your system serviced this year, contact your local HVAC contractor ASAP. Happy Holidays!