115 Years and Cooler Than Ever
July 17, 2017
What do summer blockbuster movies, boxed chocolates and skyscrapers have in common? It wasn't until modern air conditioning came to movie theaters, candy confectioners and high-rise office buildings that these industries flourished with the addition of cool, temperature-controlled air. Now, 115 years later, Carrier marks the anniversary of modern air conditioning by highlighting recent innovative advancements and milestones that make our technology relevant today and quite simply, cooler than ever. Carrier China is a part of Carrier, a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions, is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
"Carrier continues to develop new products and push the boundaries of smart technology. Beyond keeping people cool and comfortable, Carrier products are among the most energy-efficient products available today," said George Li, vice president, UTC Climate, Controls & Security, China. "Through persistence, world-class engineering and a relentless commitment to innovation, Carrier is cooler than ever – and excited to deliver leading solutions to keep people around the world comfortable well into the future."
Here are 10 reasons to celebrate Carrier and our game-changing air conditioning technology.
- Sustainable products. Globally, since 2000, Carrier products have avoided more than 225 million metric tons of carbon dioxide through advancements in energy efficiency, the equivalent of removing more than 47 million passenger vehicles from the road for one year. How cool is that?
- A new manufacturing campus. Carrier is meeting local demand in China with a new manufacturing campus in Baoshan Industrial Zone, Shanghai, scheduled for full completion in 2021. The future is looking cooler than ever.
- Our founder, Willis Carrier. The spirit of Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning, is kept alive and well on williscarrier.com and on Twitter . Follow along with Willis as he shares the history and memorabilia surrounding the evolution of modern air conditioning.
- Reaching new heights in China . We don't just talk about product innovation and quality; we walk the talk. Just look at how Carrier's advanced cooling and control systems are serving the Shenzhen Ping'an Financial Center, the tallest skyscraper in South China.
- The UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings. Carrier, and its industry-leading products, will be featured in the UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings, a first of its kind global customer experience center set to open later this year in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
- 24/7 service. At Carrier, we not only have a long history of proven innovation, but provide lifecycle maintenance services that increase chiller lifespan to prevent downtime and inconvenience for our clients and occupants. The recent three-year service agreement with Cushman & Wakefield, a leading global commercial real estate firm, speaks for itself.
- Fostering a global dialogue . We believe that global dialogue can rebalance the built environment with the natural environment. We also believe that green building, which includes our high-efficiency air conditioning products, will accelerate with education. That's why Carrier convenes the Distinguished Sustainability Lecture Series, in hopes that the discussions of today will help drive technological advancements and shape the decisions made for years to come. To date, the lecture series has reached over 3,850 professionals through 31 lectures in 19 cities across 15 countries. Events will be held later this year in Indonesia and India.
- Sustainability stewardship . The new AquaEdge™ 19DV centrifugal chiller with Greenspeed™ intelligence and PUREtec™ low Global Warming Potential (GWP) refrigerant is one of the latest examples of Carrier's ongoing commitment to innovation and technology leadership through the development of energy-efficient, reliable and environmentally-responsible solutions.
- Carrier keeps food fresh and cool. Modern air conditioning paved the way for Carrier's refrigeration technology for the transport and shipping of temperature controlled cargoes. Carrier understands that "fresh" is not simply about how recently produce was harvested or products were created. It is also about the conditions in which they have been transported. That is why Carrier provides transport refrigeration solutions that allow for precise control of temperature and humidity, preserving all types of perishable cargo no matter where it needs to go.
- Carrier is constantly innovating. In fact, the air conditioning technology of the future is being developed right now. In 2016, United Technologies spent $3.7B on company and customer-funded research and development, supporting a variety of innovative new aerospace and building systems products including Carrier heating, cooling and refrigeration systems. That's a lot of "cool", hard cash.
Learn more about Carrier's legacy of innovation, as well as the complete history of modern air conditioning, in Weathermakers to the World and on WillisCarrier.com. Follow @WillisCarrier on Twitter for more historic facts. Follow along on social media using the hashtag #carriercool.
For more information about Carrier China, visit http://www.carrier.com.cn or follow Carrier_China on WeChat.
Founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, Carrier is a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier experts provide sustainable solutions, integrating energy-efficient products, building controls and energy services for residential, commercial, retail, transport and food service customers. Carrier is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide. For more information, visit www.carrier.com or follow Carrier_China on WeChat.