While Carrier established its first joint venture in Shanghai in 1987, the company has had a presence in China dating back to 1937 with the installation of a Carrier system in the Bank of China, one of Shanghai’s tallest buildings at the time.
Today, Carrier has more than 2,500 employees in China and a network of more than 60 sales and service offices. We are an undisputable leader in China’s central air-conditioning and refrigeration markets, and we lead the way in the development of innovative solutions for both commercial and light commercial applications including skyscrapers, hotels, airports and subways, amusement parks, apartments and villas, and supermarkets.
Carrier’s expertise is evidenced by the presence of our solutions in some of China’s most prestigious projects. We secured nearly 70 percent of all HVAC contracts for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, we cool the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, and we play an integral role in the ever-changing skyline of Shanghai, with installations including the Oriental Pearl Television Tower and Pudong Jinmao Tower.
In addition to innovative products and integrated solutions, on a larger scale, Carrier is helping to lead the Green Building movement in China. In fact, we were a founding member of the Green Building Council in China, and we continue to drive the conversations that are shaping smarter, more sustainable buildings.
Milestone Development for Carrier China
- 1902 - Dr. Willis H. Carrier invented the world’s first mechanical air conditioning system
- 1985 - The first air conditioning manufacturer from the United States started operations in China
- 1995 - Shanghai Yileng Carrier Air Conditioning Equipment Co Ltd established
- 2001 - Carrier and Haier formed a refrigeration equipment manufacturing JV in Qingdao
- 2004 - Global commercial compressor center set up in Shanghai
- 2005 - Ground breaking of the 15th Carrier global R&D center in Shanghai
- 2008 - Carrier and Midea Electric formed an airconditioner manufacturing JV in Shunde, Guangdong
- 2011 - Established a heat-pump manufacturing JV with Fuerda in Shandong
- 2017 - Broke ground on a new world-class manufacturing campus in Shanghai
Sample Landmark Installation
Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Shanghai Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Shanghai Jinmao Tower, Bird Nest National Stadium, Water Cube National Aquatics Center, Shanghai Internal Finance Centre, Shanghai World Expo Pavilion, Beijing International Airport, Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Maglev Station, Guangzhou Olympics Stadium, Marriot Hotel, Hilton Hotel, Shangri-La Hotel, etc.